On 18th August 1871, the foundation stone was laid at St Stephen’s Church in Selly Park. This year we are celebrating St Stephen’s 150th birthday and God’s faithfulness to us over all those years. We invite you to celebrate with us. Our celebrations are planned mainly for 29th August to 5th September and there are lots of ways you can get involved.
The Big Day
Wednesday 18th Aug – A 150th Birthday BBQ for the Church family
The Big Party Week
|Sunday 29th Aug||Join us for a Victorian-style service from 150 years ago|
|Monday 30th Aug to Saturday 4th Sept||“Celebrating 150 years of Selly Park” – a photo-story exhibition of the people of St Stephen’s and Selly Park over the past 150 years|
|Friday 3rd Sept||Join us for a dinner and to hear more about what makes St Stephen’s tick – details to be confirmed|
|Sunday 5th Sept||9am & 10.30am|
Morning services of celebration with speaker, Rico Tice (co-author of the Christianity Explored course)
12pm – 4pm
Community Fun Day, including:
How can you be involved?
- Be part of the Photo-Story Exhibition. We are looking for people from across the community to share their story. If you would like to be involved, please fill in the template and email the office (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your story and photo. Please include:
- A good quality photo of you on your doorstep.
- Your name
- The date you arrived in Selly Park or at St Stephen’s
- What brought you to Birmingham
- Your story, roughly 250 words or half a side of A4. This could include a favourite memory of life in Selly Park or at St Stephen’s, or something about your life in the community or part of your testimony.
- Like/share St Stephen’s posts on social media. We hope to start sharing some of these stories on Facebook (@ssswchurch) and Instagram (@ssswchurch). If you are on those platforms, please like or share the St Stephen’s posts.
- Get your neighbours involved: could you invite your neighbours to be part of the exhibition? If you think they have an interesting story to share, or are involved in the life of the community, let us know (email@example.com) and we will send them an invitation and instructions. We want as many different people as possible!
150 ways to love your community
For the past 150 years, St Stephen’s has been making Jesus known and serving the community in practical ways. If you are a member of the church family, we would love you to look for opportunities to serve our community this year. Jesus says that this isn’t something we should boast about so we aren’t going to do anything public with it, but why not serve your neighbours then tell them about our 150th birthday and invite them along in September. You could cook them a meal, do their shopping, pick up litter in the park together or go for a walk with them.
Our photo exhibition shows photos of people and their stories of the past 150 years of Selly Park.